Apple Hand Pies|This Is Why I’m Full
These Apple Hand Pies were so much fun to make! We used Granny Smith apples and they tasted delicious! I think they would be better if I had sliced the apples thinly instead of just slicing them into 8 pieces and doing it that way! Maybe make it more like apple pie filling instead of just using big pieces, I think they might have baked better. I also would probably go with a different kind of apple, the Granny Smith were a little too sharp for how little sugar we used in these.
These Apple Hand Pies are great for brunch, or as a make ahead breakfast or snack.. Or dessert. Or anything really, they would be delicious for every single meal. Pack them as a work snack, or in your lunch as a little homemade dessert if you eat a real lunch at work/school. They really are delicious, the Hubby and I ate them for dessert for 4 or 5 days until they weren’t good anymore, and even then I was very sad that we couldn’t eat all of them before they started to turn.
There are a lot of options for what you want to use for the crust on these, you can go simple and use either Crescent rolls or refrigerated Pie Crust, or if you have the time and energy, make a good ol’ fashioned homemade pie crust and cut it into triangles, the Hubby and I were short on time when we made these, so we went simple and just used crescent rolls that we had in the fridge (a leftover can from our delicious Chicken Broccoli Crescent Roll Bake) but if we made them again I think I would go with a from scratch crust, I love me a good pie crust!
If you decide to make your crust from scratch I recommend cutting them with a pizza wheel, it is very nice to be able to just slice into strips/triangles and wrap them up, and using a knife is much harder to control the shape!
Let us know what you think of our Apple Hand Pies and comment below with any questions/suggestions! Be sure and sign up for our Newsletter where we will be posting and sending out recipes we are going to make and giving you the opportunity to give us suggestions for what we should make next! Enjoy!
- 1 apples sliced into 8 pieces, use your favorite kind (I would use Pink Lady apples if we made these again, much sweeter than Granny Smith!)
- 1 can crescent rolls, or 1 refrigerated pie crust
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp Cinnamon, separated
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Mix your apples in a bowl with ¼ cup sugar, lemon juice and 1 tsp cinnamon
- Take 1 piece of whatever dough you choose and take one piece of your sugared apples and wrap the crust around it
- Place on a lined cookie sheet and repeat with the rest of your apples
- Bake for 8-12 minutes, or until golden brown on the outside
- Mix your remaining sugar and cinammon on a small plate
- Cool slightly and then dip into the sugar mixture, set aside to cool completely
- Top with ice cream, whipped cream, or just eat them as is!