Old-Fashioned Southern Cornbread | This Is Why I’m Full
Let us know what you think of our Old-Fashioned Southern Cornbread and comment below with any questions/suggestions! Be sure and sign up for our Newsletter where we will be posting and sending out recipes we are going to make and giving you the opportunity to give us suggestions for what we should make next! Enjoy!
Old Fashion Southern Cornbread
- 1 tbsp bacon drippings
- 2 cup cornmeal yellow, white if you have it
- 2 tsp Baking soda
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Sugar white
- 1 whole egg
- 1 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 6 tbsp Butter salted
- Preheat your cast iron skillet with bacon drippings in the oven at 400* F. If you don't have a cast iron skillet you can also use a dutch oven or metal cake pan.
- While your cast iron heats up, make the batter. Whisk together all dry ingredients and wet ingredients in separate bowls. Melt your 6 tbsp of butter, then add the wet and dry ingredients together.
- When your pan and oven are hot, grab it and add your batter to the pan. Spread the batter evenly over the surface
- Bake the corn bread for about 20 minutes or until the edges and top start to brown.
- Rest your bread in your cast iron and serve warm!