Tri-Color Sugar Cookies | This Is Why I’m Full
Ahhhhhhhh! Can it be Christmas-time again already? I know, it doesn’t have to be Christmas to eat cookies… But that’s the only time that I make sugar cookies.. This was the first year we made these Tri-Color Sugar Cookies and they worked out better than we could’ve hoped! It was a lot of fun to make them, and to watch the progression of the dough from the crisp clear color lines above to the gorgeous marbling below.
These cookies turned out so pretty that I almost didn’t want to eat them, I just wanted to look at them! We did make icing for them, but we forgot to get pictures of the frosted cookies before we gave them away!
I know that you’re going to look at the recipe and say that nobody needs to make that many Sugar Cookies, but I took a TON of them to work and everyone loved them and ended up taking some home! And you can also make a bunch of cookies and give them to family and friends as Christmas gifts!
Let us know what you think of our Tri-Color Sugar Cookies and comment below with any questions/suggestions! Be sure and sign up for our Newsletter where we will be posting and sending out recipes we are going to make and giving you the opportunity to give us suggestions for what we should make next! Enjoy!
- 2 cubes Butter
- 1 cup Shortening
- 2½ Cups White Sugar
- 3 Eggs
- 3 tsp Vanilla
- 3 tbsp Sour Cream
- 5½ cups Flour
- 4½ tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Salt
- Red food coloring
- Green food coloring
- Using Mixer cream butter and shortening until light and fluffy (roughly 2 minutes)
- Add sugar and mix until fluffy again
- Add eggs, vanilla and sour cream and mix thoroughly
- Add flour, baking powder and salt and mix until completely combined
- Divide dough into three pieces and wrap in plastic
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours (we left ours overnight)
- To color the cookie dough: Place dough ball back in the mixer, added the food coloring and briefly mixed the dough on a low speed. (You don’t want to over-mix the dough so only mix it enough to get the dough the color you want.)
- To get the pretty marble effect on the cookies: roll nine small balls of cookie dough in each of the three colors, each ball should be about the size of a large walnut.
- Take the green dough balls and arrange them on the rolling surface.
- Then randomly add in the white dough balls.
- Finally add in the red dough balls.
- Use your hands to press together the dough balls into a circle.
- Use your rolling pin to roll out the dough until it is about ¼" thick, depending on how thick you want your cookie to be
- Now arrange your cookies cutters on the rolled out dough so that the cut-out cookie will have all three colors on dough in the shape.
- Cut out desired shapes and move to a parchment paper covered cookie sheet, leaving 1 inch between cookies
- Bake in a 375 degree oven for 8-10 minutes, edges should be just slightly brown
- Immediately move to a wire rack and cool completely
- Frost with whatever frosting you like to use!