There was a time I thought I would go Vegan, so I have a few vegan/vegetarian recipes in my recipe box. But alas, my love of bacon put an end to that… It’s really hard to quit bacon cold turkey, and with that you know I’m a bacon addict. It’s bad guys.
I was surprised how easy it is to make pot stickers, in the past I had always just bought the pre-made frozen pot stickers that were kind of bland unless you soaked them in soy sauce. Even then they weren’t that good. This will change your mind on buying the pre-made pot stickers for sure. I don’t think I could ever go back to that after eating these. You can of course make these so they aren’t Vegan, but that’s something you’ll have to come up with on your own. For now though, I need to figure out if I can make these with bacon and cream cheese. I should make a note of that somewhere so I’ll remember it, or maybe I just did?
Happy Cooking! Post a comment if you’ve tried this or have suggestions!
- 10 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 pound wild or button mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup loosely packed shredded cabbage
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped (green and white parts)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger
- ¼ cup tamari sauce
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- Pinch of sugar or more to taste
- 30 round wonton wrappers
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, adding more if necessary.
- Combine shiitakes and water in a small bowl and set aside to rehydrate mushrooms, about 5 minutes. Drain and chop.
- In a large bowl, combine shiitakes, fresh mushrooms, cabbage, green onions, garlic, ginger, tamari, sesame oil, and sugar.
- Fill a wonton wrapper with a scant tablespoon of mushroom filling.
- To seal, dip your finger in water and lightly moisten the edges of the wonton wrapper and fold over to form a half-circle, pressing the edges together.
- Repeat with remaining wonton wrappers and filling.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 10 to 12 potstickers to skillet and cover with a lid.
- Cook potstickers for 2 to 3 minutes each side, keeping skillet covered. Gently remove potstickers and repeat with remaining postickers, adding more oil if needed.
- Serve potstickers warm with your favorite Asian dipping sauce.